Clarifications on the Official transfer of functions of Press Office from the Ministry of Meteoroly, Energy, Information, Disaster Management, Climate Change and Communication (MEIDECC) to the Prime Minister’s Office (PMO)
In accordance to Cabinet Decision No. 386 of June 2014, the Cabinet approved the Office of the Prime Minister be carried out these roles during the period of July 2014 and June 2015. And as part of its Corporate Plan, it is to effectively performing its role to enable the Prime Minister’s Office and Cabinet towards effective leadership and direction to Government policy and implementation.
In particular, the Prime Minister’s Office must work together with MEIDECC and other Government agencies to transfer the responsibility for the administration of the:-
- Freedom Of Information policy (FOI)
- Provision of Government information to the Public, to the Prime Minister’s Office Furthermore and with reference to Cabinet decision No. 550 of July 2014, the Ministry of Meteoroly, Energy, Information, Disaster Management, Climate Change and Communications (MEIDECC) the Cabinet approved the said Ministry be renamed as the Ministry of Environment and Communications (MEC).
These are the main functions approved by Cabinet, and to be transferred from the Ministry of Environment and Communication (MEC) to the Prime Minister’s Office (PMO), though some are still in progress.
- The newly established Press Office Division of the Prime Minister’s Office is responsible, of which is currently up and running, for the issuance of Media guidelines for national events and accreditation and liaison
- Responsible for the dissemination of information by using various sources such as the PMO websites, publications and so on.
- For the issuance of press releases and government responses to public requests for information and clarifications
- Providing decision making about channels of information disclosure
- Disclosure of information through various policies and initiatives
- To make clarifications to the public and other sources of media outlets about disclosure and non-disclosure
- And registering and monitoring content issued by the Government’s newspaper
In the meantime, however these are the core functions approved by the Cabinet to still remain within the auspices of the Ministry of Environment and Communication (MEC):-
- MEC is responsible for the registering of government internet domain for publishing of Government information (website) or .gov.to
- Is also responsible for the registering and issuing permits to import communications equipment (media online/telecommunications)
- Design and Development of government websites
- Development of information infrastructure such as information Communications tools ( Computer hardware and software applications)
- Development of national ICT policy in terms of regulating designs and networks, computers and systems of Government
- Developing investment plans for using government information systems and technologies
- Development of network architecture for the Government Information systems.